So this post is in tribute to Eric. Yesterday he was walking from class to his car to go home. He went to cross the street and decided to run to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic. Bad idea. He tripped on a pot hole or something and did a ninja/samurai somersault. He hopped up and thought he was fine.
Oh but he was wrong! Within a few minutes the pain started in his shoulder. He then called me and told me he thought he needed to go to the emergency room. Which folks, for Eric to say he needs to see a doctor is extraordinary. The pain must of been excruciating. I asked him if he wanted me to drive down there and pick him up. No, he wanted me to just meet him at the urgent care.
So I get there and by now he's in so much pain he's about to throw up! As we waited I watched his shoulder start to swell. He couldn't even lift his arm an inch, it was pretty bad. They gave him some pretty good drugs to deal with the pain. Here are a few funny lines that came out of his mouth afterwards:
"I keep forgetting to breathe"
"Whoa, I thought I was baking a cake just now"
"I can see why people are drug addicts"
Well, a couple hours later we were heading home xrays in tote, shoulder immobilizer on, and an appointment to see the orthopedist the next day. Can you flippin believe it, but he broke his collar bone!!! The doctors at the urgent care couldn't believe he drove himself there in the first place.
Note the big chunk missing close to his shoulder....

We went to the orthopedist today. The plan is to wait one week with the shoulder immobilizer/sling and recheck him again. If everything is staying put he will just stay in his stylish sling for another 3 - 4 weeks, if not he will have surgery. The doctor is optomistic that he will not need surgery, so that will be good!
For now, I'm home being mom to two babies now :) Luckily, I am out of work right now, so I'll be able to drive Eric back and forth to USC and help him with whatever. I would post a picture of his cool shoulder fashion, but currently he is passed out in bed; I'll save it for another day!
1 comment:
I know he is miserable!! Ow!!! 'course getting hit by a car would not have been fun either...
Post a Comment