
Now for the shocker. Little Lilly has been having a rough time so far. The doctors have been a little concerned about a few things they have noticed and decided to do a little poking around, literally. Lilly has been pricked over and over and has little bandaids all over her. She has had both her heart and her head ultrasounded. As the doctors feared they found some problems with her heart. A few holes to be exact. Fortunately she has a very strong heart beat. Lilly has been unable to keep her temperature up and has had jaundice(not sure on spelling). This means she's had to stay in the nursery under a special light and a heater and has been off limits to everyone but Mari and I. She is also a little floppy. Along with that she also has a little slant to her eyes, some extra skin on the back of her neck, and her pinky fingers have a little curve to them. The test results won't be back until next week but the experts are telling us down syndrome. Yeah. Take a minute to soak it in. It took us a few days.
Mari and I have been having a tough time with people telling us that Lilly isn't perfect. I don't feel like for me there is any way to understand why Lilly is the way she is. Not now anyways. She is what she is. But, what is she?

She is beautiful. She is a quick learner. She is very independent already. She isn't very fussy at all. She has been amazing everyone with how well she is eating now. And to be honest, I think she is all of the nurses' favorite.
Lilly pad has been getting the hang of this eating thing. She is getting very good at breast feeding which is better than a lot of babies. She has lost only a couple of ounces of weight and even gained one back already. The Dr said she is getting less floppy already. Our one main concern is her heart right now. We need to meet with a cardiologist next week to learn a little more and get a better picture of her heart. She may end up needing surgery but maybe not. One thing we've come to realize over the past few days is that her heart is something to worry about, not her down syndrome.
The other day I put together a post on Lilly's mom and how amazing she is. Well, I was way off. I easily undersold her by a hundred times. I don't know how she is still going with so little sleep she has gotten since pushing a baby from her body. Actually I do know, she is in love with little Lilly and is going to be a kick-butt mommy.

The last thing I wanted to mention is the team that has come together to rally behind Lilly. Her grandmothers are going to have a nervous breakdown if they can't get their hands on Lilly soon. Her grandfathers are there for us for whatever we need. Her aunts and uncles have been amazing as well and have been super supportive. We have an amazing pediatrician that we've got lined up for her as well. There's also Rebekah and her mom Judy that are long time friends of mine. Judy has a son with down syndrome and they have already come to visit Lilly and do a little counseling with us.
So, from now on, only tears of joy are allowed because we have a lot to celebrate and be thankful for. Lilly is going to make us super happy and we are already very proud of her.
As her very wise uncle Michael(13 years old) said, "What's the big deal?"
16 comments:
You guys continue to amaze me. My only tears at the moment are tears of amazement at your beautiful words! And FYI - there are a few aunts who are nearing breakdown mode until they get to hold her too!
We are in love with our Perfect Lilly Pad!
I remember well just over 18 years ago when my son Matthew was born. Much of what you've written brings the jumble of emotions on that day back to me. You've certainly got some adventures ahead of you and I'm so glad to hear your family is rallying around beautiful Lily. Take care and God bless. Trey, editor, downsyndrometoday.com
Hi, I just found your blog through DsToday's twitter post.
My daughter Abby was born June 12 -- also a little floppy with a little bit of an almond shape to her eyes much to our surprise. While the doctors told us that Abby isn't perfect medically, she is perfect in every other way, just like your Lilly. Enjoy every second with her and please feel free to reach out to me... we are only 6 weeks ahead of you in our journey and I've found that talking to other new parents in the same situation is extremely helpful!
Melissa P
babypelly.livejournal.com
I can't think of two better people to be parents to little Lilly. You two are such an inspiration to me, you are so strong and Lilly is the luckiest little girl. We love you all so much and can't wait to watch as Lilly continues to amazes us all!
Lilly Jones is perfectly suited for your arms and I bet she will OR already has fit nicely into your hearts too! No, it is not the path you possibly would have chosen but "it is what it is"! How Mari and Eric handle this will be the lead others take---they are watching you for the green light to celebrate! Ready? Cheer!
shw
What a blessing Lily is to your family. Any challenge will be far outweighed by delight.She is beautiful. (Friend of Rachel)
Eric and Mari- your first words are so true-you are both so lucky to have such a special baby girl-that is not to say there are not challenges ahead, but there is also so much joy and love. Lilly will amaze you and be so much a part of your hearts for the rest of your lives that this time of great joy and some fear of what is ahead will so quickly fade to being a fact of life. And that is that two wonderful parents have a wonderful beautiful daughter and that is all that matters. We wish you great happiness and know that the two of you will be wonderful parents to your beautiful baby girl. All our love Jim and Jen
OK, I admit it, I'm proud. But who wouldn't be proud of a son like Eric? Have you known a sweeter, wiser young man? I am in awe of his strength and his love. He is just plain good. It never ceases to amaze me that God entrusted me with Eric and his brother Doug, and his sisters, Melissa and Lindsay!
Eric is wise to recognize Lilly as a blessing and he is wise to have chosen Lilly's Mommy as his wife. I have always loved and admired Mari but those feelings have grown exponentially the last few days. She is a true Mama with no end to her energy, devotion and love for her baby. She is an inspiration and I love her so very much.
Yes, Eric, now the tears are for joy. I got to touch my Lilly's face and hands tonight. I got to marvel up close about this family's newest gift and I couldn't love our Lilly more. She is truly beautiful and I'm just aching to cuddle her and let her know how much her Grandma loves her.
Remember, WeeWee (Eric), you'll always be my baby boy and there are no words to describe how much I love you. I can't wait to see the father, teacher, protector, etc. you'll be to our precious girl. Please remember you have countless people who want to help and support you if/when you need it.
Mom J.
You have a precious little girl!! I will be praying for you and your family! I can tell you will be awesome parents to this little one and already love her so much!! Too bad there aren't more parents like you guys out there!
Rebekah (Friend of Lindsay)
You guys are all too much. I don't deserve all your praises. I'm nobody special, just an average dad and that makes me happy. I have so much I want to say, but we are still in the hospital without our computer so I will have to wait until we get home to update the blog properly.
To trey and Melissa P and the other experienced parents, your words are very comforting to us. We are comforted to know others have blazed the trail ahead of us.
Congratulations to you guys and your new family of three! What a beautiful little girl and such a pretty name ;) Our next door neighbors son has downs and I've had the opportunity to meet many amazing children at my work and each time I talk to them and see them I cannot help but just smile, so full of love and enjoyment of life...sending thoughts,prayers & strength your way. Looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing her progress. Take care- Kristin (Denny's sis)
Congratulations on your beautiful Lily Pad. She may not be perfect in some peoples eyes but she is in yours, your family & your friends and these are the people that will love & cherish her & that's what matters the most. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family & most importantly your beautiful baby girl. Carla (Melissa's friend)
All of your comments our awesome. I can't believe there are so many people rooting behind our awesome little girl. To the "perfect strangers" that posted who share our same story, there are no words to describe how comforting it is to read your comments. Lilly is doing awesome and HOPEFULLY will be home tomorrow! I love her to pieces and am so happy to be her mommy! Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
Eric and Mari.
I have only met Eric one time, but if you are anything like your sister, Melissa, then you are a wonderful person. I want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with your family. When my son was born we spent 52 days in the NICU and today he is a happy and overly energetic little boy. While my story is not the same as yours and I cannot pretend to understand what exactly you are feeling, I do know what it is like to be told that your baby is not perfect and that there is nothing that you can physically do to help at this time. Stay strong and know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel!
Thoughts and prayers.
Stephanie Baran
hunteremir.blogspot.com
Congrats on the birth of your beautiful little Lily! I have no doubt that she will bring you & your entire family so much joy. :) I can tell you that my 19 month old who has DS & also had open heart surgery when he was 3 months old, is now one very bright, happy, energetic little boy. He truly is the light of our lives. Sedning prayers your way! Kim
Congradulations on the birth of your special angel she is going to teach you more than u can ever teach her<3 it sounds like you have alot of support and information so You should do fine:)My little girl Emily is five and she is beautiful 'funny full of energy, smart,funny dramatic,loves school she is usually only a step or two behind the others but not always no heart problems has respitory issues, once you get past all the inicial medical stuff it slows down or atlest it did for me and I was a single mom without the supprot and info you have so just enjoy ever minute with her and take lots of pics!!!!Seemed like I blinked and she's off to Kindergarden!lol add me on FB if u want Peggy Sue Fowler
Post a Comment