Sunday, February 6, 2011

W.A.W. (What A Week!)

I feel like this should be some monumental, earth-shaking, epic post. But, I'm kinda tired so I'll keep it brief while attempting to touch on some important topics. First of all, we're home! Everything is right with the world again. I can't thank every one enough for all the prayers and well wishes. I think God's voicemail stayed full this week. I kept everyone as up to date as I could this week on facebook with pictures and messages. I received an email every time someone commented on one of these updates and I received an astonishing 365 emails since leaving for Charleston. It was especially helpful during the surgery knowing that there were so many people holding their breath along with us.

I want to give a shout out to the staff of the MUSC children's hospital. Every nurse and doctor we came into contact with this week was friendly, knowledgable, and professional. They all had to explain everything twice to us, once to Mari, then on a fourth grade level so I could understand so they were very patient as well. I want to give a special shout out to Lilly's surgeon Dr. Kavarana. If anyone knows me they know I don't get too excited over professional athletes or famous actors/singers(I understand there was a football game on tonight). But, I definitely got the Bieber fever for Dr. Kavarana this week. This guy is my hero and he is so cool. I saw him a few times after Lilly's surgery just passing him in the hallway or the cafeteria and I was starstruck each time. This is the guy that little kids should aspire to be; they should have Dr. K posters hanging on their walls not Shaq! And to talk to him he makes it sound like what he does is no big deal.

After Lilly's successful heart surgery we were brought into the PCICU where we were to spend a few days while Lilly healed. When we arrived we were given an Annabelle Basket. This basket meant so much to us. In it were receiving blankets, warm socks, a hat, a stuffed elephant toy and a beautiful embroidered burp cloth that really was a shame to get dirty. These baskets are donated by a family who's daughter, Annabelle, had multiple heart surgeries at MUSC. We found out later after talking to a few nurses that Annabelle passed away at just two months of age. After hearing that my heart broke for that family. And for them to turn their experience into a positive one for so many other familes is so inspirational. It makes us truly remember how lucky we are. Annabelle Baskets are funded entirely by donations so if anyone is inspired to donate like we are then please visit their blog to find out how. Annabelle Baskets There was another story we heard about a baby who was born at MUSC and stayed at the PCICU for an entire year!! Can you imagine? Our lives are so perfect, it's good to have reminders of just how lucky we are.

I wish I had some pictures to include with this but I can't find the camera. I'm sure it will show up so check back soon.

No comments: